Immerse your class in a day of fun outdoor learning activities and role play celebrating the Hindu festival of Diwali. Pupils will learn about Diwali festivities and the meaning behind the colourful celebrations.
- On arrival the OEE team will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues.
- The day will begin with a quick introduction about the story of Diwali, followed by a walk to the woods where children dress in costume and re-enact the story of Rama and Sita, who were exiled for 14 years.
- Next the class will split off into small groups of 5 or less and take on a photo orienteering challenge around the hall and gardens at the centre; collecting items and images of Diwali to decorate and create their own ‘Festival of Light’ tree!
- Pupils get to talk about their creation to the class
- It’s time to get crafty! The afternoon session will focus on Diwali crafts, the class will be provided with all the resources and materials to:
- design Mendi hand patterns
- make and decorate clay Diva lamps
- cut out and decorate Diwali gift boxes using wooden stamps to decorate
- create their own Rangoli pattern
- Time to pack up and head home with your craft creations.
Key learning outcomes
- Learn about the Diwali Festival
- Explore the story of Rama and Sita
- Understand the importance - for some people - of belonging to a religion and how they celebrate different festivals
- Use their senses to experience a new environment
- Use natural and made materials to make their crafts to take back to school
- Having fun outside and work together as a team
- Discovering new locations
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.