Come and learn the importance of renewable energy. Build wind turbines and generate your own electricity! Take part in our food miles orienteering challenge and your class will see where their food comes from, and why the choices they make in the supermarket can have a massive effect on the world they live in. What's more, see firsthand what happens to our rubbish in our small landfill site.
- On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives, and health and safety issues.
Session A: What is sustainability?
- Food Miles activity: based around the centre grounds orienteering course
- Landfill activity
- Plant pot activity
- Have a go at planting your own food
- Visit our award winning eco library. Could these inspiring innovations be included in your school?
Session B: What is renewable energy? Can be led by either Centre teacher or visiting teacher (a pre-visit is recommended if this is a self-led activity)
- What do the children understand about sustainable technologies and renewable energy?
- Next the class will get into groups of 3 and generate their own electricity by building their own wind turbine
- Which group has made the most efficient wind turbine? Using the big fan, the class can see who can make the most electricity
- Begin to understand that humans can have an impact on the world around us, either in a bad way: rubbish, landfill and pollution; and a good way by growing our own food, reusing or recycling
- Develop teamwork and communication
- Have fun whilst learning outdoors
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us