Visit the Animal Care Unit and learn about how to care for a wide variety of animals, including: rabbits, gerbils, ferrets, budgies, spiders, frogs, snakes, lizards to name a few! What’s more in the rodent room you’ll have the opportunity to hold some of the animals - just watch out for the goats, they’re always on the hunt for food.
Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self- leading sessions.
Please note the Animal Care Unit is not always available as it depends on availability of technicians at the unit and also whether there are student examinations taking place.
- On arrival one of the OEE team will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues.
- The day will begin with a quick welcome introduction from some of the team at the Animal Care Unit.
- Then we’ll split the students into smaller groups and visit the rooms learning about each type of animal. There will be opportunity to handle some of the animals.
- If it is one of your objectives then a member of the ACU team will then share some information on how students can find pathways into careers in animal care.
- Return to onsite classroom.
Key learning outcomes
- Learn about a wide range of different animals
- How to handle some of the animals
- Hear about careers available in animal care
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Before you visit
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.