Bring your class along to Perlethorpe to experience a day in the life of school children in Victorian times and learn what life was like during this period. The classroom has been restored to its original layout from 1861 so it truly will be a step back in time! Your class will get to wear costumes of Victorian children, so they can be transported back to the past to see how they would have been treated by the old school master...
On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues.
Session A: takes place in the classroom
- Time to take on our roles as school children that attended the school back in the 1860's
- During our classroom session we'll enjoy Victorian games, a lesson on the 3R's the old fashioned way using slate boards and ink pens, and take part in a Victorian style drill!
Session B: takes place out and about
- Tour of the estate using the map provided
- Time to get creative and attempt sketching some of the examples of Victorian architecture; the church, Thoresby Hall, the stables and Post Office cottages
- Next a visit to the Church for the “Search the Church” activity (worksheet available)
- And if there's time we'll explore the graveyard for headstones from the Victorian Era and more specifically linked to key dates and rubbings taken.
- 1877 - death of Prince Albert
- 1819 - Victoria born
- 1854 - Florence Nightingale pioneers modern nursing
Key learning outcomes
- Learn about the history of the Victorians
- Develop creative skills and role-play
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.