Visit the wonderful pond in the grounds of Brackenhurst. Your class will have a memorable experience studying a natural habitat by dipping the pond for a menagerie of minibeasts; from tadpoles and minnows to dragonfly nymphs.
Session A: Usually led by centre teacher
- On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues
- We'll head down to the pond, and en-route stop and discuss food chains of the habitats that we pass through
- The class will then listen to an introduction to the pond area followed by a demonstration of equipment and techniques to dip safely.
- It's time to get pond dipping! Ideally in groups of 3 pupils take turns to dip in the pond and return to their trays on the bank to identify their findings using charts and keys.
- We'll then discuss findings and how each animal is linked in the food chain of the pond habitat before returning the mini-beasts to the pond.
- Now it's time to head back to the centre.
Key learning outcomes
- Learn to identify different river plants and animals
- Understand how life cycles are linked to the seasons
- Understand the interdependence of living things
- Learn about the importance of appreciating our environment and conservation
- Have fun whilst learning about habitats
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.