Join Maid Marian on a magical winter trail to discover the spirit of Sherwood at Christmas time. Walk the frozen paths of the forest carrying your Winter Wonders passport and learn about the traditions of Christmas from medieval times. Collect stamps for your passport along the way. You might even meet Robin Hood himself!
Continue the festive fun into the afternoon by creating a Christmas craft for your class to take home and end the your magical experience with a Christmas story and hot chocolate. A truly inspiring alternative way to celebrate Yuletide.
- Welcome chat and health and safety brief
- Walk to the start of the woodland trail
- Introduce the Spirit of Sherwood and Medieval Christmas and give out passport
- Follow the Christmas woodland trail collecting stamps, as the children learn about medieval Christmas traditions
- Gather at the Major oak and trade their passports for gifts
- Follow trail back to classroom for lunch
- Afternoon session starts with a Christmas craft activity - the children can then take their crafts home
- The day ends with hot chocolate and a Christmas story
- Develop an understanding of Medieval Christmas traditions
- To learn about the origin of the Green Man and the spirit of the forest
- Use natural objects and materials
- Understand the difference between natural and man-made materials
- Develop imaginative ideas
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.