Spend the day exploring a new area and learning how to record evidence, use geographical vocabulary and compare two different localities through a range of hands on activities. Young people will get to use maps, compasses and their own eyes to make observations as well as have fun exploring Thoresby.
On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues.
- Hear about the history of Thoresby Estate
- We'll separate into groups of 3 or 4 and hear about how to use a compass, and read maps
- Visit St John’s Church found on the estate, and learn about it's key features and purpose
- Next we'll search for hidden animals in the windows, pews, and stone work of the Church
- We'll enjoy a range of activities:
- Activity: "Pollution Detectives" - identify Lichen species in the graveyard to assess the level of air pollution for this area
- Activity: “Have you got one?” using maps we'll explore Thoresby Hall and the grounds, and check off the different types of buildings as we come across them
- Activity: “Field sketching” - draw key features of Thoresby Hall
- Activity: "When were they built?” - identify key features of the Post Office cottages and using the resource sheets provided guess the period they were built in
- Activity: “Traffic Survey” - survey traffic levels
- Time to head back to the centre
Key learning outcomes
- Develop teamwork and communication skills
- Discover the difference between different environments
- Learn to use maps
You may also like...
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.