Being able to read a map is a really useful skill, so why not come and learn how in safe, fun and challenging locations? Your pupils will learn how to use pictures or maps to find controls in a variety of locations. They will also learn how to orientate a map so they don’t get lost, how to use a ‘key’ and unlock the secrets a map holds! There are lots of opportunity for progression from very simple courses around our buildings to ‘technical’ orienteering courses in the woods.
Please note we offer picture orienteering for lower key stages (KS1).
- On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues.
- Pupils will work in groups of 3 or 4
- Explanation of the map including the key, symbols, north, scale, start point and control point
- Walk out to the area being used using features as way markers
- Basic orientation of the map in the course area
- Explanation of Star/Loop/Score Orienteering (dependent on level)
- Shown and given opportunity to use compass (if appropriate)
- Safety talk
- Groups given time to complete the course
- Gather groups and return to the Centre
Please note programme might alter slightly depending on the Education Centre visited
Key learning outcomes
• Learn map reading and orientations skills
• Develop team work and communication skills
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.