Come for a walk, through grass and woodland looking at the magical world of plants. From the humble seed to the mighty tree. Learn about key features of a plant and act out seed dispersal in a fun, hands on activity.
- We have an array of activities are on offer but they are dependant on the timetable of the gardening year.
- On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues
- We’ll then walk in the grounds of our location and take a seat in the log circle where the tutor will introduce the activities.
- Students will get to enjoy a walk in the environment.
- Make your own bio-degradable plant pot and plant your own seeds to take home or back to school (sunflowers, acorns or beans)
- Bark / leaf rubbing with wax crayons. Compare different tree's bark or leaves
- Time to go on a scavenger hunt and collect a range of natural materials so we can create our own labelled diagrams of the parts of a flowering plant using natural materials. We then discuss the function of each part of the plant.
- If the season is right we can also collect a variety of seeds to look at how plants come up with ingenious ways to disperse their seeds. Take them back to your class for an instant display!
- Using identification charts children can complete our tree trail to identify 15 different trees.
- Then it’s time to head back to the centre.
Key learning outcomes
- Learn about the functions of the parts of a plant
- Learn what a seed needs to germinate
- The importance of plants and trees in our environment
- How plants reproduce (pollination, fertilisation, germination and seed dispersal)
- Use charts to identify a range of trees
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.