Time to get dirty with the creation of soil, what is it made from? Why do we need it? Your class, using scientific testing, will discover what different types of soil are made from. They’ll also learn about the rock cycle and identify various types of rocks.
On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues.
- We'll take part in a few activities to help us better understand rocks and soils:
- Activity: dirty hands test - identify properties of soils
- Activity: rock sort - sort rocks based on characteristics
- Activity: hidden treasure - use soil sieves to find the gold from a mixture of materials
- For years 5/6 only: Igneous, Sedimentary, Metamorphic activity - collect 10 rock types on the picture orienteering course and sorting them into the three categories of rocks
Key learning objectives
- Learn to identify the different types of rocks
- Learn about how rocks are formed and erosion
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly and have suitable waterproof outerwear. Some waders are available. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self- leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.