A thought provoking day spent looking at one of the most horrific wars in history. Using props and artefacts, your class will get the chance to re-tell battles throughout history. Walk in the footsteps of a soldier on the front line as you step into the past in a WW1 trench.
On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Centre and go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues.
- We'll walk up to the Royal Lancers Museum
- Activity: "Trent Warfare" - an informative and thought-provoking tour of the trench system
- Activity: "Warhorses through the ages" - short plays created with genuine artefacts about local Warhorses from different periods of history
- Walk back the to the centre
- Learn about the The Battle of Somme, the significance of the Battle.
- Activity: Down the River Somme - build boats from man-made and natural materials to carry your troops and Warhorse down the River Somme
- Activity: Boat racing - time to test our boat making skills as we race each other down the “River Somme”. Wellies at the ready as we'll also have the chance to go in the River Meden
- Walk back to the centre
- Learn about the chronology of Great War in an immersive environment
- Learn about life in the trenches and the history of the horses used in battle
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure children are dressed warmly with suitable waterproof outerwear. Please dress for the weather. Detailed activity sheets will be provided at the centre for group’s self-leading sessions. Please note all activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.