Based at our Anglo-Saxon House on the fringes of the Danelaw, your pupils will be transported back to the time when the whisperings of a united England were being spoken by King Alfred. Discover the events of the Saxon invaders and how they settled across the country, through to the fall of the Anglo-Saxons in 1066. Learn about their gods, important leaders, Viking invaders, Danelaw and Wessex village life.
• On arrival one of our tutors will welcome your group to the Settlement to go through the schedule for the day, learning objectives and health and safety issues.
• Pupils will dress up in tunics assume Anglo -Saxon names on necklaces.
• Anglo-Saxon House: Our Chieftain will narrate the timeline of the Anglo-Saxons using murals on the walls of the house.
• Rune Adventure. Children find 10 locations using the mystical Danelaw Map to unlock the secret of the runes
Key leaning outcomes
• Improve understanding of the Anglo-Saxons invasions, their kingdoms and the origins of place names today
• Understand the changes in religion from old gods through to Christianity.
• Become part of village life through understanding Anglo-Saxon laws and justice
• Recognise the Viking and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the Kingdom of England from Alfred the Great and Athelstan, to the time of Edward the Confessor.
Book this activity
For more information about booking this activity please contact the relevant centre.Contact Perlethorpe Centre
Let us build a bespoke visit just for you!
We offer bespoke packages to meet the needs and requirements of your class. Just get in touch with the team.Contact us
Information for your visit
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the centre, but please ensure that children are dressed warmly and have suitable waterproof outerwear. Dress for the weather - children and adults. Detailed activity sheets will be provided for group’s self-leading sessions. All activity programmes may vary depending on number of pupils and their needs, length of visit and weather conditions.